sfgale

sfgale

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1)

The Gunslinger - Stephen King This was much better than i expected it to be. I've never really given Stephen King's books much of a chance. I'm glad i finally took the plunge with this one. I really like the dreamlike quality to it, the other-worldly feel is very refreshing and a style i've come across very rarely, if at all. I was reluctant to read this one, partly due to the fact that Stephen King tends go off on a tangent a lot which can lead to his books being three times the length they might have been. This wasn't a problem here with the story simply unfolding as and when it needed to and, thankfully, not disappearing off into the distance somewhere only to get back on track some hundreds of pages in the future. It is in fact quite a short book relative to other more modern fantasy novels that seem to be under the impression that it's not fantasy unless it's at least a 1000 pages. It is however one of a seven book epic, but in this instance i'm glad it is, and am very much looking forward to the next one, 'The Drawing of the Three' which apparently throws our protagonist into the mind of a modern-day drug dealer(or something of the like).

Highly recommended.